Another round of GeoEarthScope LiDAR data is now available via OpenTopography. The much anticipated Garlock fault portion of the Southern & Eastern California acquisition can now be downloaded via OpenTopography in Google Earth hillshade overlay and standard tiled DEM formats. The full data release announcement:
We are pleased to announce the availability of new GeoEarthScope airborne LiDAR data products from the Southern/Eastern California project! This release includes full coverage of the Garlock fault.
1. Google Earth. The easiest way to explore this dataset, users can view filtered ("bare earth") hillshades within Google Earth from two different illumination angles. The hillshade KML file is available for downloaded at http://opentopography.org/kml.
2. GIS. For more advanced applications, filtered ("bare earth," fg*) and unfiltered (ug*) 0.5 m resolution digital elevation models in Arc Binary grid format are also available for download in 1 km2 tiles. Users can browse and download available tiles via an interactive map or KML file available at http://opentopography.org/dems.
More GeoEarthScope airborne LiDAR data products will become available soon from other SoCal targets as well as Yellowstone, Pacific NW, Tetons, Wasatch and Alaska. The Northern California dataset is already fully processed and accessible from OpenTopography. Stay tuned for more!
David Phillips and the GeoEarthScope LiDAR team
***** GeoEarthScope Southern California LiDAR Project Acknowledgements*****
Primary funding agency
- National Science Foundation
Data acquisition, processing and distribution
- National Center for Airborne Laser Mapping (NCALM): LiDAR data collection and processing
- Ohio State University (OSU): GPS data collection and processing
- USGS Pasadena: logistical and administrative support
- Arizona State University (ASU): data distribution and analysis tools
- San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC): data distribution and analysis tools
We would also like to thank the U.S. Navy Geothermal Program Office staff for their general support and permitting assistance.